| By Dave Foxall
An Independent Surface Review for SurePayroll’s Mobile Payroll Solution
SurePayroll’s Company Overview
Founded in 2000, the Illinois-based SurePayroll bills itself as “the online alternative” and is, in the words of their mission statement, “dedicated to providing a simple, convenient and accurate online payroll service at a price small business owners can afford.” As well as the basic calculation and payment of salaries and tax-filing, the company also offers online solutions for managing 401(k) plans, health insurance, workers' compensation and employee screening. For existing SurePayroll customers, they provide two free mobile applications; one for employer functions, the other focussed on employee self-service.
SurePayroll (yet another one of our contenders for top mobile payroll applications) has received multiple awards for its innovative technology, high standards of customer service, and its mobile payroll apps from sources such as PC Magazine, Inc. 500, and Accounting Today. There are too many awards to list here but some recent and relevant examples are:
- 2012 Winner Customer Service Contact Center of the Year – The Stevie Awards for Sales & Customer Service, The American Business Awards
- 2010 CPA Technology Advisor's Innovation Award for its Mobile Payroll app
- 2010 Small Business Trends Top 10 Must Have Small Business iPhone apps
In 2011, SurePayroll joined the Paychex, Inc. family as a wholly owned subsidiary.
SurePayroll’s Mobile Payroll Application Purpose
The Payroll app is aimed at employers and provides iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Android-compatible mobile access to the existing SurePayroll account. With the mobile app, employers can run payroll from anywhere in just a few swipes. Available functions are:
- Pay salary, hourly, and 1099 employees
- Enter earnings, deductions, hours worked, and benefits like vacation, sick, and personal time
- View or change check dates
- Preview payroll and payment methods to ensure accuracy
- View previous payroll summary reports
- Access employees' contact information
- Run payroll with One-Click Payroll
- Stop direct deposit
- A diary/calendar feature keeps track of payroll deadlines, bank holidays, employees' birthdays, and compliance updates
The employee app is called Mobile Paycheck and enables workers to securely view their current and past online payroll information directly via their mobile devices (again Apple or Android). Options include:
- Access current and past paycheck records
- View paycheck details, including earnings, taxes, deductions and YTD totals
- Check used, available and earned vacation, sick and personal time
SurePayroll’s Customer Target Market
In 2000, the SurePayroll vision was to introduce the first completely online payroll and payroll tax-filing solution for small businesses with between 1 and 100 employees. This aim has not changed and SurePayroll have expanded their small business support with a host of additional resources aimed at making payroll easier and more accessible on the move. Examples include their small business calculators that enable cost assessment, not just for payroll, taxes and benefits but also broader financial factors such as cashflow, break even, retirement savings, and healthcare. Furthermore, every month the company releases a SurePayroll “Small Business Scorecard”, which aggregates the hiring and compensation data from their customer database both regionally and nationwide, including overall optimism levels among small business owners.
SurePayroll’s Perfect Prospect Profile (PPP)
SurePayroll exclusively focuses its services on the small business market. As such, by definition there are no household names or brands in their customer base but the numbers speak for themselves: more than 35,000 small business owners rely on SurePayroll for their services, some were start-ups, and others switched from traditional offline payroll service providers to leverage time and money savings.
SurePayroll’s Technical Specs
Put simply, both the employer and employee apps come in either Apple or Android versions, providing coverage of a significant portion of the smartphone market.
SurePayroll’s Primary Competitors
The like-for-like offerings in the mobile payroll app market come from ADP (also available since 2010) and Intuit (for both their own customers and users of QuickBooks). Meanwhile, PayrollGuru offer an app that focuses on the payroll fundamentals of calculation and Ceridian have developed a Canadian alternative which, naturally, covers the BlackBerry operating system in addition to Apple and Android.
Strengths of SurePayroll’s Mobile Payroll System
- The capability to not just check details but also run the payroll via a mobile device.
- A well-established provider, now further supported by connection to Paychex.
- Employee option creates the option of mobile self-service transactions.
Weaknesses of SurePayroll’s Mobile Payroll System
- Only available to existing customers of SurePayroll.
- While available for download to a large subset of the mobile-connected workforce, failure to provide options for Blackberries (at least in the U.S.) and Windows-enabled devices signals a significant customer segment loss.
Bottom-line for SurePayroll’s Mobile Payroll Software
SurePayroll have built a firm reputation with their online payroll services for small businesses not least due to their solid customer service provision. In fact, the SurePayroll promise is “We will never cease in our desire to serve our customers and eliminate their payroll worries.” Giving customers mobile access to the system’s functionality is just another facet of that service mindset and the provision of an app specifically for employees is an innovative touch.
Categories: Mobile Payroll
Tags: SurePayroll Mobile Payroll
Author: Dave Foxall