Ultimate Software Best Fit and Competitors
UltiPro Enterprise Sweet Spot
Although Ultimate’s solutions do not target any particular market, the fact that payroll functionality is only available on the UltiPro Enterprise version means that both size and scope are an issue—especially considering that the Enterprise product is firmly aimed at multinational enterprises with 1,000+ employees. As to industry, the product appeals to the payroll needs of a number of vertical sectors; including: Aerospace; Agriculture; Computers; Construction; Finance; Healthcare; Hospitality; Insurance; Manufacturing; Telecommunications; Transportation; Utilities; Warehousing; and Retail. Across these multiple markets, examples of Ultimate’s marquee clients are Adobe Systems; the Arizona Diamondbacks/Phoenix Suns; Benihana Restaurants; The Container Store; Elizabeth Arden; Omni Hotels; Ruth's Chris Steak House; SkyWest Airlines; and Jockey International.
When you’re looking for a payroll solution, shortlist UltiPro if:
- Your business is determined to source a single provider for payroll integrated with all aspects of human capital management functionality
- Your organization has a high concentration of U.S. workers with little need to expand globally.
- You need an experienced and viable SaaS provider with dedicated experience in payroll in HR.
Payroll software decision-makers may wish to look further afield if:
- Your organization needs deeper integration into additional ERP functions like financials, CRM, etc.
- Your company has a regulatory need or preference for an on-premises deployment model.
- Your workforce would benefit from a payroll self-service that is part of a robust mobile workforce management solution.
Ultimate Software Competitors
In the current marketplace, Ultimate's payroll competitors are numerous; ranging from Automatic Data Processing (ADP) to Sage HRMS (although Sage is a more direct competitor in terms of market and functionality). Ultimate's focus on North America means that it does compete well with the likes of SAP and Oracle for "core" payroll (and HRMS) functionality. It would appear however, that in terms of competitors, Workday is the one to beat on usability and intuitiveness. IDC's Lisa Rowan’s opinion is that, "Workday is one of the toughest companies out there when it comes to competition for the Ultimate Software Group…[thanks to the fact that Ultimate has]…had to switch to their current system while supporting clients at the same time on the old system". Nevertheless, the UltiPro Enterprise solution does provide a unified payroll/HR/talent management solution that has functionality most organizations will find sufficient.
Ultimate’s UltiPro software provides a comprehensive cloud-based payroll solution bundled with wider HCM functionality. With a unified "system of record", the company has successfully changed its approach to solution delivery in order to gain and maintain a leading position at the forefront of the SaaS wave. As such, for companies searching for a sole provider for all their payroll and HR needs, the Ultimate solution is a hard one to pass up when compiling a shortlist.